Sunday, September 28, 2014

Web 2.0


Netflix- This by far is one of my favorite websites/apps that’s on this list. Sure, I use Netflix to relax and be entertained at home as most people do. However, I’ve found this tool extremely useful in my classroom. Working in a classroom with severe and multiple disabilities, my students need examples of what we are learning. For instance, we have been working on a problem-solving unit. Using Netflix, I’ve found a few age appropriate show that we can break down different problems and discuss the problems in the show and how they might have been solved differently. However, Netflix has several downsides: the first being it costs money to use beyond the free trail that is offered; the second downside is that to use in a classroom you must have a projector for your entire class to enjoy. Netflix definitely out weighs the cons and well worth the investment.

Wordle-  I like Wordle because  it provides a different way to convey information to your students. Instead of using markers and chart papers to create lists, Wordle is a great way to introduce a unit and access prior knowledge. Also, Wordle can be used as a partner activity and have other pairs guess whose they are. Worlde’s can be used to tell one-word stories. The possibilities for Wordles are endless. The only con I can see to using Wordle is that you need access to laptops or a computer lab but in most schools this isn’t a problem. 

Prezi- I like using Prezi because it’s different from all the other presentation tools such as PowerPoint and other similar tools.  Prezi offers a zooming canvas which  opens up the classroom to active learning and interactivity, making lessons more engaging. Most of the time teachers are under a time crunch causing them to skip over important information. Prezi allows you to mange your time more efficiently. However, with Prezi there is a learning curve that the presenter needs to over come.   

Typing Adventure- This tool is great because it keeps students engaged while learning an essential 21st century skills. Typing is essential because almost every job application is online, requiring you to type. I see this as a functional skill for my students that needs to focused on and reinforced.  Typing for many of my students is a challenge can be very frustrating, I can see this tool at being very helpful in my classroom. This tool will require a lot of adult supervision for my students which could be the only downside. 

Classdojo- This tool is awesome at classroom management. I really like that this tool has the ability to instantly reinforce good behavior. I haven’t used this in my classroom but I would highly consider it because of this aspect. This part is essential for me because my students like instant gratification. I also like the tool because it also allows you to communicate with parents in a safe manner. Also, this tool increases student engagement and allows you to easily collaborate with fellow teachers. This tool does have a downside of being time consuming at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment